Wednesday, June 6, 2012

How dull it is to pause, to make an end, to rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!


The last couple days at work have been grueling because we're literally only organizing files on the computer. But thats what it'll take to move on so we get jazzed on coffee and push on. Slowly we got done organizing it and now we're on to something even better...naming all of them. Coded names in order to shorten but at the same time give meaning to the files.
This is all part of a tedious process that we learned about in advanced GIS called creating a geodatabase. Although it felt like a quick process when we hurriedly wrote it on our exam it is actually a process and a half to do in real life...We already went over what they are looking for or their aim for this geodatabase and the information they want within it. But the 80gb of information they want to include is like I stated earlier extremely unorganized...We are in the phase of siphoning out what to keep such as the Galapagos province as a whole shapefile and what to not keep....random points without any attribute information attached to them.
Bahia Sullivan: Isle Bartolome
But at the moment I'm going through all these ocean charts that are interesting. They are close ups of sea depth along with a lot of the smaller islands in the Archipelago. I'm slowly learning the names of most of the islands, the locations, and towns they might have on them.

Recently we have gotten screwed by the person we rented surfboards from...We let a Canadian family try them out for a half hour and their son had snapped off a fin...He gave us 25 dollars in order to fix it but we assured him it would be more because we signed a contract. The man, in front of family, also agreed to meet us at the fish market to come with and return them in case it was more. Unfortunately he wasn't trustworthy and didn't meet us and we are now stuck paying the other $75 dollars that their charging us...not cool man your retired, loaded, and lied in front of your kids.

This is a really spacey message but it's been a few days.

I also started my day after the incident with a trip to the laundry place which is the only way to do laundry. It's a dollar a kilo so it ended up being $5.50 for my stuff. After that I went to a bakery to get some fresh bread. They also randomly had bread crumbs which we could use for our fish later. Because after the bakery I hit up the fish market that sells fresh yellow fin tuna off the boats for $2/lb. I then headed to work at 8 to an awesome email : ) I've been able to get the Internet quite consistently which is SUPER nice and have figured out that I can get to town on a bike in sometimes 5 min depending on what I'm going for or 20 walking.

Giant camera, Giant Centipede
As I sit here working BBC is standing next to me doing an interview with the English guys office next to mine...Steve something who tracks tortoises with GPS's to try and determine their migration routes. They've been here for about a week now filming random things like a giant centipede last week, to land lizards today, to interviews of important people, to color changing moss. All of this is part of a new segment their filming which none of us know when it is to air but it highlights the Galapagos in detail...The word on David Attenbourgh (sp?) is that he's coming shortly and supposedly there's going to be a meet and greet here at the station for people who work here...we'll see if that actually happens.

I'm getting shushed because we're making to much noise so now I'm taking our first routinely scheduled coffee break...

While I wait for BBC to get done with their interview...I'm looking up road trip ideas around the Great Lakes or other places. I don't start school until the 4th I believe so Rach and I were thinking. rooad trrip. If you have any suggestions drop a line.

Recent Recipe:

Joe and I ended up soaking our fresh tuna in egg, dabbing it in crumbs, then frying it on our stove. Cut up a red pepper, minced garlic, and an onion, sauteed it with a lime and then mixed the left over egg to put on top of rice. It ended up being a great meal, but had quite the food coma afterwards.






No comments:

Post a Comment