Thursday, June 28, 2012

plan for tomorrow, live for today


6/27/2012

Yesterday and today has been back to the grind of sewing together the nessessary threads to the database we're creating. By a random chance of events and ideas we got Geonetwork to connect to their host server which then allows us to eventually distribute our information to the web. We have also been siphoning through a bunch of satellite images and trying to find out how to upload them to postGIS because it doesn't support rasters standing alone...I've found two extentions that are downloading which (with my fingers crossed) will allow us to upload them to our server. Henry, the man we made maps for is such a great guy. He geninually cares what people are doing and if their having fun doing it. He is generous enough as well to name drop me in his paper for contributing maps. get some. Jordan also mentioned that he may have me creating more since he knows what I like to do, and tasks over here in this building are moving slower than the tortoises on a hot day. Short and sweet from the work end of things.

While things are downloading I've also been real in tune to a bunch of geography blogs I found. Basically their getting me amped to want to go to grad school. University of Oregon would be quite perfect if things went to plan. I may even try to put together my letter of intent while I'm down here with the ocean for inspiration. The gre is also lurking in my headlights...not to excited for that when I get home but what better time to start studying than the uneventful dark nights here.
On top of that I checked out internships with National Geographic. Their pretty impressive since they have interns creating, editing, and designing publishable atlases as well as drafts for the magazine...The only thing is they sound quite exclusive but take applications in October...But I'm not sure when their positions are for throughout the year. I want to take a water taxi out the National Geographic cruise boat thats bobbing around in the harbor and be like SIGN ME UPPP. That would be a dream come true.

One thing at a time...

...yesterday after work I high tailed it to our bungalow to snag the only good bike we have left. I took mr un-reliable to town in order to catch a taxi up to Bellavista. It's a small town up in the highlands about a 25 min uphill car ride inland. It was a cool little trip that I've thinking about doing ever since we had our brutal hike there earlier. Taxi man dropped me off and I spotted a bakery. Should probably mention I've had this thing for bakeries lately. They are extremely cheap, super tasty, homemade, warm, and again hard to pass up. They all have basically the same things but different sizes shapes etc. The deal is. I get something different every time. Today the palette was feeling yellow sugar cookies. 15 cents a piece...again hard to pass up. The whole plan was to get a ride here then cruise the whole way back downhill. It was quite relaxing flying by small coffee and banana plantations swirving for dogs and speed bumps. There was a woman selling chicken kabobs half way down along the road which I could smell a half a mile away...With seasoning like that, there was no question whether or not I would be stopping. From there on out it was pretty steep not hitting the brakes until I got to Puerto Ayora a solid 30 min ride away. I stopped at a small market to pick up some kiwis which alludes to a secret I should probably fill you in on. I like to call it "kiwis and beer are phenomenal together."

Other than that I cooked up some rice and fish again then biked into town to hear from Rach and concluded my night with a movie and a batido to go that I'd been saving.
grey, streamlined, two heli-pads, private heli, jet-skis, and a cruiser attached to the side....quite the toys...who could it be?!

No comments:

Post a Comment